Sunday, July 26, 2009

In Memory of our Mom

Donna Marie (Williams) Stevens died 9 years ago today...so today's post is about my Mom. I love this photo of Mom on the tractor. I am sure it was a tractor that was probably on the Stevens' farm, because we all know that Mom was not a farm girl....in fact, she would not move into the farm house on Cty. Rd. H....until she had an indoor toilet!! Mom was not about to venture outside in freezing weather to use the "facilities". I, for one, am so glad Mom set her foot down on that issue!
Here are some things that some of you grandkids didn't know about your Grandma or Great Grandma Stevens....
1. She loved her Pepsi...later in life, she switched to Diet Pepsi.
2. She used to have a beauty shop in her house.
3. She was a 4-H advisor for many years, President of the Superior School Mother's Club.
4. She tried her very best to make sure that her kids had the opportunity to do fun things even if she didn't have the money.
5. She did not like her vegetables...she only feed us grean beans, corn and peas....never had caulflower or brocolli or anything like that because she did not like it.
6. I never saw her drive a tractor!!! I don't think she "slopped" the hogs either...slopped means...feed the hogs.
7. She a had strained relationship with her own Mother...she never felt like she was "good enough" for her Mom.
8. She had a thing for Shirley Temple movies....I think Shirley Temple to her was like Miley Cyrus to today's kids.
9. She wasn't good at saying "I love you"...that is not the way she was brought up...but she loved us all very much.
10. She would have given anything in the world to have those years back that Jean lived with our Grandma Williams. That haunted her until she died. I know she regretted not fighting to have Jean live with us.

Oh my, that's quite a list....some of these things needed to be said....I hope you understand your Grandma Stevens just a little better....


In Memory of Donna Marie (Williams) Stevens
March 19, 1925-July 26, 2000

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List

Followers